Thursday, March 24, 2011

Alumni at Ohio State gives advice



During spring break, several BHS alumni dropped by to say ‘hi!’ to some of their teachers and to talk to underclassmen about what to expect in college. William DeShong, Class of ’10 and current student of the Ohio State University studying wildlife science, has a few tips for underclassmen at Bethel.
According to DeShong, having a solid background in any subject makes college classes easier. “I walked into the second half of Calculus with an AB Calculus background. I had already known what the teacher expected me to know, whereas other students struggled because they’ve never seen it before,” said DeShong adding that the amount of homework in high school is very little compared to the work in college classes. He had to spend over 25 hours a week in just chemistry alone. DeShong also said that having a good background in AP English helped him know the correct format and grammar, such as comma usage. “So far, I’ve had to write a two-page paper for Biology, and a 5-page paper for environmental resources, both of which I received a 100% because I was able to edit it,” said DeShong.
Steven DeShong
Staff Reporter


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This guy went to Bethel last year! He's one of my role models!
-Steven